With the passing of time, new technologies have gone from being a tool of domestic leisure to become an important part of our lives, since we not only resort to them to spend time in something entertaining, but now we use them to carry home accounting, review medical history, access our bank accounts, housing photographs and personal data and more situations that can cause a problem if someone unauthorized access this information.
In addition, the most common form of connection in homes is through wireless or Wi-Fi, a type of connection that prevents us from depending on a cable, but not ensuring our network correctly would be the equivalent of having a door of house without lock or easily accessible, something that we always try to avoid to keep our belongings and identity safe.
That is why providing and applying security measures in our WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network) is something necessary if we want to protect ourselves from possible intrusions or theft of information, in fact, as reported from this article of 1and1 , there are different methods and configurations that we can carry out to shield our connection and thus achieve the optimum level of security.
This aspect related to security is really important and something to take into account in any field where a Wi-Fi network works. In fact, since Rootear we have already provided solutions in this regard to make our environment less vulnerable to possible unexpected thefts.
This type of advice is very recurrent both in specialized media in the technological field and in the most generalist media , so much so that we can read tips related to this aspect in more blogs, all of them intended to help us in the measures that we must take to avoid any mishap and be safe from any unauthorized connection or theft of information.
Within all the information that we find, we can indicate that good practices in relation to our WLAN connection are the following:
- Update our router to the latest available version: These updates offer security patches that will prevent the exploitation of possible holes
- Change the default configuration: Name and user access to the router, the name of the network, the password, etc.
- Make use of WPA2 encryption: This encryption method is the safest to date.
- Make use of a fortified password: The more complex and less obvious, the better, in fact, the best solution is to mix numbers and letters throughout the entire access code.
- Hide our network: In this way, it will be more complicated for a person outside of us to locate or access it.
- Activate MAC filtering: Indicating only our equipment and devices and denying the connection to any other than those indicated.
- Deactivating the DHCP service: This measure is not so secure, but it never hurts, since by deactivating this service it will be necessary to configure the network card with a valid IP address and with the IP address of the gateway, that is, the router
There is no doubt that total security does not exist in the technological field, but of course we can say that by launching this type of measure and obtaining information and specialized documentation on pages or sites dedicated to it, it is more than likely that we will never have Any unauthorized access to our network, so we will have achieved our goal of protecting our home.